How to Ship a Car to the Dominican Republic
This article will provide you with all the necessary information required for understanding the process of shipping a car to the Dominican Republic from the US. Here are the aspects we will cover Key Questions to Consider Step By Step Guide on How to Ship a Car to Dominican Republic Types of International Shipping Methods Restrictions […]
This article will provide you with all the necessary information required for understanding the process of shipping a car to the Dominican Republic from the US.
Here are the aspects we will cover
- Key Questions to Consider
- Step By Step Guide on How to Ship a Car to Dominican Republic
- Types of International Shipping Methods
- Restrictions To Keep in Mind
- Pre- Requisite Documents You Must Possess Before Shipping a Car
- Most Popular and Available Destinations for Exporting a Car to Dominican Republic
It may sound complicated but in reality, it is not.
When compared with other places in the world, shipping a car from the US to the Dominican Republic is quite simple and not too expensive. The problem might arise if you are doing it for the first time.
Having a clear comprehension of the shipping process and a reliable shipping company to help you is ideal to overcome any challenges.
In this article, we have compiled together some essential elements of all types of information that you need to know about shipping a car to the Dominican Republic from the US.
We have surveyed and interviewed several shipping companies and their experienced employees, to come with a detailed guideline on the basics of shipping a car to the Dominican Republic from the US.
So, let’s start reading.
Key Questions to Consider
Before embarking your vehicle on a journey to the Dominican Republic, you must consider finding answers to the following questions first.
- Do you want to ship the car permanently to the Dominican Republic or it is a temporary movement?
- Are you moving the car for tax exemption?
- What type of car you are exporting? New or Old?
These and similar questions will help you figure out whether your car is qualified to be shipped to Dominican Republic from the US.
Step By Step Guide About Shipping a Car to Dominican Republic From US
- Decide on the port that you want your car to be shipped from.
In most cases the shipping of vehicles to the Dominican Republic is done from Florida, Port Everglades.
- Decide the port you want to ship the car to in the Dominican Republic
- Transfer your car to the decided port of departure.
- Get informed about the laws and regulations pertaining to vehicle importation in the Dominican Republic. Make sure you have a clear understanding of each law and clause.
- A person can ship one vehicle at a time.
- You must have owned the vehicle and have it registered in your name for at least 1 year before shipping it to the Dominican Republic.
- If you are a Dominican citizen, you should have remained outside the country for at least two years to be eligible for shipping a car back.
- Your physical presence is required at the port when shipping to clear customs.
- The vehicle should not exceed the maximum weight limit.
- All vehicle and ownership-related documents should be in their original form. No copies will be accepted.
- Get price quotations from various reputable shipping companies. You can obtain online quotes as well as by phone or by paying a visit to their office. Make sure all information is up to date and ask any questions that you have in your mind to clearly comprehend the process.
- Decide on one company after price and services comparisons. You should also look out for customer reviews and referrals from your own network of family, friends, and colleagues.
- Once the company has been selected, fulfill all the necessary pre-requisites and notify them about the final date of shipping.
- Make necessary payments in person, through a bank or credit card.
- Before shipping make sure your car has been thoroughly checked and cleaned. It should comply with all the rules of shipping internationally.
- The undercarriage of the car will be washed and steam cleaned to remove all types of soil, plants, insects, animals, and microorganisms.
- Keep all the related documents safely with yourself. They will be needed at the time of picking up the vehicle from the port in the Dominican Republic that you choose for delivery. These documents will include
- Your valid passport
- Vehicle’s License Plates
- Driver’s License
- Vehicle Title Certificate issued by Department of Vehicles attested by Dominican Consulate
- Proof of Registration of three years
- Visa or Proof of Residence.
- Once the vehicle has been departed from the port, you can keep track of its movement through the shipping company. For vehicle tracking, you will require
- Vehicle ID Number (VIN)
- Dock Receipt
- Booking Number / Bill of Lading
- Once reached, you can pick up your vehicle from the port in the Dominican Republic by showing the original documents and bill of lading.
Types of International Shipping Methods
Shipping a car to Dominican Republic from the US can be done with different methods. These include
- Containerization – Shared or Full Container
- Flat Rack Transport
- Roll On/ Roll-Off Services or RORO
- Lift On/ Lift Off Services
These four types of shipping methods have different circumstances and prices. The most secure, affordable, and reliable method remains to containerize your shipment.
It keeps your car safe from outside factors.
The open-air RORO shipping is also very cheap but can be damaging for the vehicle.
Restrictions to Keep in Mind
The vehicle importation process of the Dominican Republic has some clear but stringent regulations that need to be followed. Some of these notable vehicle importation laws other than the ones mentioned in the previous section include the following
- No car older than 5 years can be imported
- Cars with over 2000cc capacity or higher than 6 cylinder engine are not eligible for import
- The car should not contain more than ¼ tank of gas
- The duty on car importation of the Dominican Republic is minimum or negligible for new residents.
Pre- Requisite Documents You Must Possess Before Shipping a Car
The journey of learning and gaining knowledge about shipping a car to the Dominican Republic from the US cannot be complete without highlighting the documentation needed for the process.
- Original Ownership Title Document with no liens. It should be attested and certified by the Department of Motor Vehicle and legalized by the Consulate of the Dominican Republic
- Original Registration Documentation of past three years
- As per Dominican government rules a used car if sold must have the signature of the buyer and seller at the back of the title document
- In case of a new car, your name should be clearly mentioned as the registered owner
- Invoice of auto-delivery obtained and certified by Dominican Consulate
- Residence Visa of Dominican Republic
- Driver’s License of Dominican Republic
- Valid Passport.
Most Popular and Available Destinations for Exporting a Car to the Dominican Republic
Some of the places where you can easily ship a car to the Dominican Republic from the US include
- La Romana
- San Pedro de Marcoris
- La Vega
- Santo Domin
- Santiago de los Caballeros
- San Cristobal.
These were the basic guidelines and essential information that a person needs to know if he wants to ship a car to Dominican Republic from the US.
The key to remember is never to assume that your scenario is the same as others. Every vehicle and every person has different circumstances and the rules and regulations also keep on changing.
Hire the services of a reputable and reliable International Shipping Company which can effectively guide you and help you to ship a car to the Dominican Republic from the US within your budget.