Ship Car to Guatemala – Learn All There is to Know
“Ship car to Guatemala” is a phrase searched frequently when people are shipping to Latin America. Whether you’re choosing to use Roll on Roll off (RoRo) shipping or a shipping container to Guatemala, there are many benefits to choosing the country. The customs in Guatemala are very similar to that of the United States. This can also work to your advantage if you’re shipping from Guatemala to the USA.
Car shipping to Guatemala requires you to follow the rules for sending vehicles overseas. Also, though this post is primarily focused on explaining how to ship your car to Guatemala, freight shipping to Guatemala is an available option. The only thing you’ll need to do is make sure your chosen transport carrier provides freight shipping to Guatemala.
Getting Your Car Shipped to Guatemala: Location is Everything
The length of time it takes to ship your car to Guatemala depends on your vehicle’s point of origin. When you’re to Guatemala from the United States, you’ll be provided with different delivery estimates depending on where you’re located. For instance, shipping to Guatemala from Los Angeles will provide an estimate very different than if you were to ship from Georgia, New Jersey, or Massachusetts. It’s very important to keep this in mind when you’re shipping a car to Guatemala.
It’s important to keep in mind that when you ship your car to Guatemala, the cost depends on several different factors.
- The distance between the loading port and destination port. The further you have to ship your car to Guatemala, the more it will cost
- The type of shipping service and shipping method you use will also affect the overall cost of shipping car to Guatemala
- The time of year / season you choose to ship during will affect the shipping cost
NOTE: Shipping freight works differently than shipping a car. There are general methods used
to calculate the cost of shipping a car that is not used for freight.
One of the most important things you’ll need to do when shipping a car to Guatemala is to get quotes from multiple transport carriers. Getting quotes will enable you to gauge the general cost of shipping your car to Guatemala as well as how costs are affected by the reputation, experience, and size of the company you use when shipping your car.
Services You Can Use for Shipping Car to Guatemala
There are two primary shipping services and shipping methods provided by transport carriers when you ship your car to Guatemala. The shipping services are known as Door to Domestic Port and Port-to-Port.
- Door to Domestic Port involves your car being picked up from your home and transported to the loading port for you. An agent from the transport will come to your home, inspect your vehicle, and provide you with a Bill of Lading. Your vehicle will then be shipped to Guatemala according to your chosen shipping method. By choosing this method you’ll need to be home when your car is picked up as well as will need to retrieve your vehicle when it arrives at your chosen destination port.
- Port to Port shipping, on the other hand, involves you being the one to drop off your vehicle at the loading port. This method can be tricky if you do not have easy access to transportation to and from the loading port. Once you drop off your vehicle at the loading port, you’ll be required to make it back home without your vehicle.
Methods for Shipping Car to Guatemala
There are two primary methods you can use to ship your car to Guatemala. The first method is Roll on Roll off ( RoRo) shipping and the second is container shipping. RoRo shipping is the faster and more economical way to send a car overseas, whereas a shipping container to Guatemala costs more money, but it provides added security for your vehicle.
- When you choose RoRo shipping to ship your car to Guatemala, your car will be “rolled on” to the shipping vessel at the loading port and “rolled off” at the destination port. Once your car is loaded onto the vessel, it will be secured in the cargo area where it will remain until the vessel arrives at the destination port.
- When choosing a shipping container to Guatemala, your vehicle is provided with the extra security of being placed in an enclosed space. A shipping container to Guatemala comes at a higher cost, but your vehicle won’t experience any damage caused by the harsh weather conditions the shipping vessel is subjected to during its journey.
NOTE: It’s important to keep in mind that hurricane season starts June 1st and ends on November 30th.
Car Shipping to Guatemala – Cost
The cost of car shipping to Guatemala depends on four primary factors and several other secondary factors. Each of the three primary factors also affects the overall cost of freight shipping to Guatemala.
- When shipping car to Guatemala the distance you need to ship will be one of the primary factors determining the overall cost. The further your vehicle needs to travel, the higher your price will be.
- The size and weight of your vehicle will also affect the cost to ship your car to Guatemala. The larger your vehicle and / or the more it weights, the higher the price you’ll be expected to pay.
- The speed you choose for your shipment is the last primary factor that influences the overall cost of shipping your car. The broader your time frame for your car’s shipment, the less expensive it will be. Expedited shipping always comes at a higher cost.container shipping.
- Your chosen shipping method and shipping service. Port to Port nad RoRo shipping are more economical than Door to Domestic Port shipping and
Several of the secondary factors that will affect the cost of car shipping to Guatemala are as follows:
- The shipping season. Shipping during the summer months and winter months are always the most expensive times to ship a car to Guatemala due to shipping demands and weather conditions.
- The reputation, experience, and size of the transport carrier you choose. Companies that have better reputations and more experience will have higher rates than less experienced companies. Larger commercial companies will also offer more resources and lower rates than smaller businesses, because their supply and demand give them the ability to do so.
- The shipping frequency for your transport carrier. If your chosen carrier ships to Guatemala regularly, you’ll likely pay a lower shipping rate.
- The amount of insurance you choose to get for your vehicle.
Shipping Car to Guatemala: Customs, Duties, and Taxes
When shipping a car to Guatemala or shipping from Guatemala to the USA, it’s important to know how each country’s customs and duties work. Both car and freight shipping to Guatemala require you to meet the guidelines provided by the country. Whether you are shipping to or from Guatemala, you should contact a customs agent in order to gain a full understanding of what cars and freight are accepted into the country. You’ll also discover what duties and taxes you’ll be expected to pay once your car or freight enters the country.
- Talking to a customs agent will also allow you to learn about what vehicles and items are banned from entering into the country.
- The three primary items banned for freight are arms and ammunition, pharmaceuticals, and food products. Click here to see a detailed list of everything that is and isn’t banned when shipping from the United States to Guatemala or shipping from Guatemala to USA.
- When shipping a car to or from Guatemala, its ability to be accepted into the country will depend on its age, size, and efficiency. Vehicles that release high amounts of pollution into the air and / or are considered to be gas guzzlers are typically subjected to additional duties and higher taxes.
Shipping Ports in Guatemala
There are five ports that you can use when car shipping to Guatemala.
- Puerto Quetzal
- Puerto Barrias
- Santo Tomás de Castilla
- Puerto de San Jose
Which port you can ship to depends on the transport carrier you choose. Certain carriers only ship to one port exclusively. I
How Long Does it Take to Ship a Car to Guatemala
When shipping a car to Guatemala from the USA it takes an average of 14 – 24 days. You can expect faster delivery times if you’re shipping to Guatemala from Los Angeles. The general cost of shipping a car from the port of Los Angeles to Puerto Quetzal is $1850. The price you pay will largely depend on the type of shipping carrier you use and how fast you want your car to be shipped.
Take a look at the table below to see the general costs of shipping from different US ports.
|New York, NY to (New York port) to Puerto Quetzal||$275||$3,400||5+38|
|Los Angeles to (California port) to Puerto Quetzal||$350||$2,900||5+19|
|Portland, OR to (California port) to Puerto Quetzal||$475||$2,900||6+19|
|Seattle, WA to (California port) to Puerto Quetzal||$550||$2,900||6+19|
|Charlotte, NC to (New York port) to Puerto Quetzal||$575||$3,400||6+38|
|Atlanta, GA to (New York port) to Puerto Quetzal||$700||$3,400||6+38|
|Denver, CO to (California port) to Puerto Quetzal||$775||$2,900||7+19|
|Miami, FL to (New York port) to Puerto Quetzal||$925||$3,400||7+38|
|Memphis, TN to (New York port) to Puerto Quetzal||$925||$3,400||6+38|
|Dallas, TX to (California port) to Puerto Quetzal||$1,025||$2,900||7+19|
Preparing Your Car for Shipment
When you get ready for shipping a car to Guatemala, you’ll need to make sure you are able to complete each step of the process. In addition to choosing your shipping carrier, you’ll also need to complete all of the necessary paperwork, clean your vehicle, and have your vehicle plate.
The documents necessary for importing a car into Guatemala can change when the country passes new laws. Talking to a customs agent for Guatemala will allow you to make sure you have all the documents you need to have your car imported into the country. Provided below is a general list of the documents you’ll need to import your car.
- Original vehicle title and registration
- Transport document
- Declaration of goods
- Bill of sale or purchase invoice
- Declaration of customs value
Cleaning Your Vehicle
In addition to completing all of the necessary paperwork, you’ll also be required to clean your vehicle before it is shipped. In order to be accepted into Guatemala, your vehicle must be free of all dirt, soil, and any other biohazardous materials that could introduce new materials into the country.
Having Your Vehicle Plated
In order for your car to be driven in Guatemala, it has to be plated. Having your car plated will require you to have an address in Guatemala or documentation providing you have been granted temporary access to drive your vehicle in Guatemala.
Both car shipping and freight shipping to Guatemala offer marine insurance. This type of insurance is very important because it protects your vehicle or freight while it’s a journey across the ocean. If your cargo is damaged in any way, marine insurance will cover the cost of any damages, including if your cargo is lost at sea.
What Items Can You Ship Using AES
AES shipping allows you to ship both freight and vehicles as long as none of what you are shipping is banned by Guatemala.
Additionally, AES provides you with the ability to ship heavy equipment and the following vehicles:
- Luxury Vehicles
After reading this post you’ve learned the many ins and outs of shipping cars and freight to, and from, Guatemala. You now know the different factors that will determine the overall cost of shipping your car to its final destination. You’ve also learned how your chosen shipping method and shipping service affect the price you are quoted by transport carriers. You’ve also learned what methods you can use to feel confident you are making the right decision when shipping cars to Guatemala.
Other blog posts you might like
Feb 8, 2023
A Comprehensive Overview of Shipping Goods to Haiti
Feb 2, 2023